Mold grows anywhere there is a sufficient food and water source, and our homes provide everything it could ever need, but especially if there has been a water-related incident. 

After a home flooding, plumbing problem or roof leak, one of your top priorities – after fixing the problem, of course! – needs to be a mold inspection. 

Mold grows quickly and has countless negative effects on your home, family and even pets. Catching it early and getting rid of it for good will save you a whole lot of time and stress. 

But that doesn’t mean that you should jump right in and start scrubbing away to remove it yourself right away. Removing mold is a messy, dangerous task that is best left to the pros, so if you have identified even a small amount within your home, it’s probably best to go ahead and pick up the phone and call Pure Air Mold Remediation ASAP. 

Why DIY Mold Remediation is a Bad Idea

Black mold is one of the most common indoor molds, along with cladosporium, penicillium, and aspergillus.  None of these are inherently dangerous in smaller amounts, but when closed up within your home and allowed to thrive, mold spores in the air can become incredibly dangerous, regardless of the type. 

Although the thought of living with mold another day may motivate you to remove it yourself, most experts suggest against it, and here’s why: 

  • Ineffective equipment – The air filters, personal protection, and containment equipment you have access to as a homeowner is nothing compared to what a professional team will have on hand. 

Plus, you’ll have to spend money on these tools, when you could invest it in professional mold removal instead. You may also put yourself in danger by breathing in harsh chemicals in an area that is not properly ventilated. 

  • Future problems – Mold spores are released into the air during cleaning, and they can settle anywhere in the house. After what you feel is a thorough cleaning, you could still be breathing in mold, or you could loosen it just so that it can travel around your home, growing a new colony anywhere there’s moisture. 

You will eventually end up calling someone who is trained in professional mold removal anyway, so why not do it right away, before the problem gets out of control? 

  • Inconsistent results – You may think a small amount of mold will be easy to handle yourself. What you don’t consider is what you can’t see…let us explain. Mold can be like an iceberg: you only see a small percentage of the problem, while there is much more below the surface. Removing a portion of it (just what you can see) usually isn’t going to make the problem go away. 

Removing mold from certain surfaces, like shower walls, is relatively easy, but surfaces like wallpaper and drywall are a lot more complicated and should only be handled by experts. 

What You CAN Do

If you find mold in your home, even if you just know the conditions have been ripe, here are a few safe steps you can take that won’t put you or your family at risk of mold exposure. 

Most importantly, don’t attempt to remove it yourself. The health risks are not worth saving a little money on professional services! 

Fix the cause

  • Plumbing issues lead to leaks in the walls, floor and basement. Even a dripping faucet, something you can probably take care of yourself, could be the reason your home has developed mold. Make repairs as needed so mold never has a chance to settle in your walls or flooring. 
  • Flooding is another major cause of residential mold. If you have a defective appliance, repair it or replace it immediately. Otherwise, the problem is going to continue. Overflowed toilets are double trouble because of the bacteria present in most toilet bowls. 
  • One-time accidents, like an overturned mop bucket can leave behind enough water to cause mold growth. If water runs under your cabinets, furniture, or into the carpet, take immediate action to dry the areas as quickly as possible. 
  • Humidifiers are a great way to enrich the air in your home, especially if you or a family member has a breathing condition. But built-in and stand-alone humidifiers present the problem of too much moisture in the air. You may have to discontinue use if mold is a recurring problem in your home. 

Our best tip: Call a professional

There’s no substitute for experience and the right tools. Here are just a few of the reasons to call a mold specialist rather than attempting it yourself.

  • They can locate the source of the moisture, even if you can’t. If you have searched the entire house and still can’t figure out why mold is present, an expert will know how to dig deeper and figure out the mystery so you can eliminate the source for good. 
  • They’ll have connections with local plumbers to make necessary repairs. Because they work closely so often, your mold remediation team will probably have a good relationship with at least one local plumber that they trust to make repairs. 
  • They can remove mold safely. This is hands down the best reason for professional mold removal. Mold spores travel through the air and can settle literally anywhere: on your pet, inside your nose, or on your upholstery. These spores can then start their own colony and expose you, your family, and guests to even more mold. 

Not to mention the risk you expose yourself to during the actual cleaning. The spores are released in large amounts during cleaning, so it’s necessary to have the right safety gear and containment equipment.  

We mentioned scrubbing earlier as a means to remove mold. While this may work in your bathtub or shower, it is not the most effective removal technique for all certain surfaces. Your trusted mold remediation team will know how to treat mold no matter where it’s growing. 

So avoid the dangers of DIY mold removal and call Pure Air Mold Remediation at the first sign of mold. 

Call Now Button